Chicken Rollitini

Chicken Rollitini

Friday, February 5, 2010

Finding Relevance

I have decided to start a blog called Kitchen Chaos. Two years ago I wrote a newspaper column with the same name. The topic was food and family. I enjoyed sharing recipes and stories, but the newspaper industry is hurting and money lacking. I didn't mind writing the column for free at first, but when they sent me a bill for my subscription I decided that was too much. I have missed writing and decided to join the growing number of bloggers.

The kitchen is where we cook, create, eat and join together as a family every day. The kitchen is where the kids drop there shoes, backpacks and do homework. It is where we drink wine and talk with friends. We dance and sing in the kitchen. I have had some pretty intense discussions with my husband in the kitchen. The kitchen is truly the heart of the home.

This morning over coffee I was telling Joe about some issues at work. I could see I was losing him. He nodded while I explained about the trouble with the schedule and how certain people were aggravated with other people. But I could tell he was somewhere else. It is the same face I get when he tells me how he scored every single point in his last game of racquetball. I pretend to be interested but I am really thinking of my grocery list or the last episode of The Bachelor.

It is hard to feign interest in subjects that don't matter to you, but we all want to be heard. We want to be understood. We want to be relevant. So I am sending my voice out into the vast expanse of the Internet hoping to be heard and hoping someone might find it matters. Welcome to my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment